Belfast Area Activities
Penobscot Bay is famous for its pristine beauty and numerous islands. The waters are ideal for sailing, ocean kayaking, swimming and fishing. Several nearby state parks overlook the bay and have hiking trails, beaches and picnic areas.
Belfast offers a variety of quaint shops, restaurants and art galleries. Golf courses, antique shops and weekend flea markets can be found nearby.
Points of Interest
- Belfast Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center. 207.338.5900
- Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Observatory and Fort Knox Historical Site. The tallest observation deck on a bridge in the world.
- Camden Hills State Park. Great for hiking and scenic views of Penobscot Bay.
- Moose Point State Park. A smaller state park a few miles north from the Belfast Harbor Inn.
- Swan Lake State Park. Nice fresh water beach and good fishing.
- Fort Point State Park. The remains of historic Ft. Pownal and Pier Lighthouse.
- Belfast Historical Society and Museum. Is dedicated to the collection, conservation, preservation and interpretation of artifacts relevant to Belfast history. 207.338.9229
- Penobscot Marine Museum. A great collection of Marine artifacts and paintings. 207.548.2529
- Farnsworth Art Museum. The Farnsworth is one of finest regional art museums in the country with a specialized collection focusing on Maine's role in American art. 207.596.6457
- Maine Maritime Museum. Painting, models and artifacts celebrating Maine's maritime heritage. 207.443.1316
- Owls Head Transportation Museum. Pioneer autos, cycles and airplanes. 207.594.4418
Festivals and Cultural Events
- Arts in the Park Festival
- Belfast Harbor Fest and Boat Building Challenge
- Belfast Maskers
- Belfast Summer Nights
- Celtic Festival
- Common Grounds Fair
- Fiber College of Maine
- Free Range Music Festival
- Friday Night Art Walk
- Maine Fare Festival
- Maine Lobster Festival
- Marsh River Theater
- New Years by the Bay
Shopping in our area is a true pleasure. Intimate boutiques offer carefully chosen fine clothing and special mementos. Need to re-stock the boat while you're in port? Maine supply, grocery, and hardware stores are here to please. Discriminating visitors to the area can browse our antique shops for one-of-a-kind items or inexpensive collectibles.
While the greatest concentration of shops is in downtown Belfast, more antique shops, as well as exceptional art galleries, await you along Route 1. Head south to Lincolnville Beach Area or north to the maritime village of Searsport.